Frequently asked questions
What's the difference between grain-free and gluten-free?
Gluten-free is simply the absence of gluten, a protein found in all gluten containing grains which include: wheat (including wheat varieties like durum, spelt, farro, bulgur, semolina and kamut), barley, rye, tricticale and most oats products (due to cross-contamination - unless otherwise stated). To be grain-free means to exclude gluten-free grains from the diet as well. These include: corn, millet, rice and sorghum and often non-grains (pseudo-cereal grains) like amaranth, buckwheat and quinoa.
What are some of the benefits of going grain-free?
For these answers, we'll turn to Dr. William Davis, best-selling author of Wheat Belly:
Beyond helping reverse type 2 diabetes, facilitate weight loss - especially visceral body fat (that's the fat found around the mid-section and encases the organs), aiding in the healing of autoimmune disorders and helping to reduce inflammation and pain, the grain-free diet has been shown to impact the brain - in a good way.
Dr. Davis explains the ways your brain could heal once grains have been removed from your diet.
1. Better Mood
2. Lessend Amounts of Anxiety
3. Reduced Brain Fog
4. Enhanced Learning Abilities
5. Reversal of Seizures
6. Reversal of Neurological Impairment
7. Aids in Preventing Dementia
For more information on the benefits of following a grain-free diet check out Dr. Axe and his suggestions for switching from a grain-based diet to a grain-free one.
Do you use soy in your products?
We DO NOT add soy flour, soy beans, soy oil or soy milk in any of our products. We do, however, use EARTH BALANCE BUTTER (dairy substitute) in our cookies and select products (it will be stated in ingredient information). Earth Balance contains a small amount of soy. See butter substitute ingredient list below:
Earth Balance Ingredients: expeller- pressed natural oil blend (palm fruit, soybean, canola, olive), filtered water, pure salt, natural flavor (derived from corn, no msg, no alcohol, no gluten), crushed soy beans, soy lecithin, lactic acid (non-dairy, derived from sugar beets), naturally extracted annatto for color.
What do you use to replace grains?
We use a very special combination of whole navy and whole pinto bean flours that have been soaked, cooked, dried and milled for easier absorption and nutrient bio-availability.
Do you use any starches?
Yes. We use potato starch in all of our products. Potato starch is a superfood for your digestive system. You see, both potatoes and legumes (such as navy and pinto beans) contain high quantities of resistant starch - simply put, it's starch that passes through your digestive tract undigested. These starches have been shown to have powerful health benefits. Some of these include:
1. Improved insulin sensitivity - "Some studies have found a 33-50% improvement in insulin sensitivity after 4 weeks of consuming 15-30 grams perday."
2. Lower blood sugar levels - It's so effective at lowering blood sugar that, "it also has a second meal effect - meaning that if you eat resistant starch with breakfast, it will also lower the blood sugar spike at lunch."
3. Feeds the friendly bacteria in the intestines - Not just one species of bacteria but several, having a positive effect on the number of them as well.
4. Helps to create short-chain fatty acids - This feeds the cells in the colon wall which has several positive effects on the colon.
5. It lowers pH levels
6. It reduces inflammation - which should lower the risk of colorectal cancer
7. It has therapeutic effects that may be useful in treating inflammatory bowel diseases like Ulcerative Colitis and Chrohn's, diarrhea, constipation and diverticulitis.
8. Resistant starch has fewer calories per gram than regular starch (such as that found in a overripe banana). This helps to contribute to weight loss.
Do you use nuts in your products?
No. We DO NOT use nuts of any kind in our products. That includes: peanuts, tree nuts, coconuts, nut flours and nut milks.
What are your products free from?
All of our products are FREE FROM the following - Gluten, Grains, Dairy, Nuts.
Are any of your products VEGAN?
Yes. All of our
bread products are
Vegan. That includes all bread varieties, flatbread and panko bread crumbs.
Chocolate, Pumpkin Spice and Banana Bread Muffins are
Crispy & Dunkable Cookies line are all
Do you ship your products?
Yes! Please go to our Shipping & Returns page for more details.